Post-Decree Motions

Post-Decree Motions Attorney In Anoka, Minnesota

The entry of the divorce decree may not mean that the case is coming to an end with the court system, although that is most likely the goal. Many times, the parties in a divorce decree will seek to modify some portion of the judgment or the decree because something has changed that warrants a modification.

Mr. Peterson is an experienced Minnesota divorce lawyer who can help you with child support modification, custody modification, alimony modification, and motions to move out of state with a child or child. He can also help with motions for contempt hen the other party has not fulfilled their part of a judgment.

Experienced In All Types Of Post-Decree Motions

The types of post-decree motions that Christian Peterson can represent you in include:

  • Motions to modify custody
  • Motions to move out of state
  • Motions to modify parenting time
  • Motions to modify child support
  • Contempt order
  • Motion to modify spousal maintenance

One of the most common reasons behind a modification is income. A person’s income may not always stay the same during the years after the divorce, warranting a change in child support or spousal maintenance payments. In addition to income, there are other aspects of an individual’s life that can change that may require changes in the divorce decree so that all parties remain compliant with the terms of the divorce.

Helping You Avoid Contempt

When a court order is violated, a person can be found in contempt. This is another reason why post-decree motions are important. If you are in a situation where your income has changed and you cannot pay the same dollar amount in child support and/or spousal maintenance, it is important to file a post-decree motion with the help of your Anoka divorce attorney. This is a good tool to prevent contempt.

For instance, not being able to pay the same amount could result in you not being able to make the payments at all or in full. This will cause the payments to go into arrears, resulting in current payments and back payments. If the other party informs the court, you could be found in contempt and ordered to pay the child support due. By utilizing post-decree motions, you can avoid the possibility of contempt long before it could ever happen and that will work better for everyone involved. There will be no contempt proceedings and payments will continue as usual. The main difference would be the amount of the payments.

It should also be noted that increases in wages can also warrant a spouse receiving payments to seek higher child support or spousal maintenance payments that reflect that increase in income.